Friday, March 13, 2009

bakersfield and ice cream

on my recent business trip to fresno, i didn't bring my camera because, c'mon, what is there to take pictures of in fresno?

well, luckily, i had my camera phone. on a stop in bakersfield, we stopped by a local ice cream shop called dewar's. it wasn't cheap but it sure was good.




dewar's even had the requisite local kitsch:




they sold chocolates -- not very cheap -- and i can't vouch for the goodness as i did not try them.



but we were there for the ice cream.

when we got there, we just avoided the rush but it got real crowded fast. classes must have just ended because there were lots of students from kindergarteners to high schoolers in this small establishment. and then, there were a few folks like me who were, shall we say, young at heart.







the bottom line though was that the malt was excellent. it was basically 2 1/2 scoops of ice cream of your choice with all the rich milk goodness. beware, they do not serve skim milk. the serving size was pretty large too. i opted for half vanilla and half maple nut. it was rich, creamy, sweet and absolutely delicious. it was so rich that the straw was useless. yeah, that thick. my friend had the coffee shake, which she claimed was excellent.


half way through my malt

if your stomach is not used to such heavy and rich sweetness, be aware that you might have digestion problems later. me? i had none. luckily, my stomach has high tolerance for fat. and that's a good thing.

No comments: